98% Success Rate

Same Day Services

Full money-back guarantee

Competitive fixed Fees

Financial requirements for a UK Spouse Visa

The financial requirement for a UK Spouse Visa has become a burden to many couples and families unable to satisfy it. This has resulted in thousands of couples being separated and a stockpile of refused visa applications. Before applying for a UK Spouse Visa you must ensure that you meet the financial requirements otherwise it can lead to the refusal of your application.

In 2012 UKVI introduced a new legislation requiring British citizens and permanent residents looking to sponsor their partners or dependent children with UK settlement visa to meet the financial requirements:

  • If a UK settled person wants to sponsor a non-EEA civil partner, spouse, fiancé or unmarried partner to join them in the UK, they must an annual salary amounting to at least £18,600.
  • The minimum income for couples with one dependant child is currently set at £22,400.
  • A further £2,400 is required for each additional child.

Note that the financial requirements must be satisfied each time that the non-EEA national renews their visa and when they apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain.

 What income sources can be considered when applying for a Spouse Visa?

  • Sponsor’s earnings in the UK, or the sponsor overseas earning given that they have a confirmed job offer in the UK.
  • Migrant spouses’ employment income – given that they are in the UK with permission to work.
  • Migrant spouses’ overseas employment income or offers of employment in the UK.
  • Sponsor’s savings amounting to £62,500. The savings must be under the sponsor’s control for at least 6 months and readily available.
  • Pensions which exceed the minimum threshold per year.
  • Income from property rentals exceeding the minimum threshold per year.

Does non-employment income count?

 Non employment income amounting to the minimum £18,600 can come from sources such as:

  • Savings
  • Rental Income
  • Interest payments
  • Maintenance payments

Are there any exceptions?

The financial requirement does not apply if the UK based sponsor is receiving one of the following benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit
  • Personal Independence Payment
  • Severe Disablement Benefit
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Carer’s Allowance
  • Constant Attendant Allowance, Mobility Support or War Disablement Pension under the War Pensions Scheme
  • Armed Forces Independence Payment or Guaranteed Income Payment under Armed Forces Compensation Scheme
  • Police Injury Pension

How can we help?

At Master Legal Services we have extensive experience in dealing with UK Spouse Visa applications. We will organize, consult and proof read you application to ensure maximum chances of obtaining your UK Spouse Visa.

Contact us for more information:

T: 020 8935 5205

E: a.s@master-legal-services.com

Related Posts

About us

Master Legal Services is a company Registered in England & Wales No.10309474. We are authorised to provide immigration advice and services by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).


7 Bell Yard London,





020 8935 5205