98% Success Rate

Same Day Services

Full money-back guarantee

Competitive fixed Fees

BRP Card lost, stolen or expired?

The biometric residence permit (BRP) can be reported lost or stolen from inside or outside the UK. A replacement can be ordered only from inside the UK.

The BRP card can no longer be used if found after reported lost or stolen.

If the BRP was valid for 3 months or more, report it and apply for a replacement. You must do this within 3 months of losing it, otherwise you can be fined up to £1,000 and made to leave the UK.

One more thing you can do is to apply to extend your visa if you want to stay in the UK after the BRP expiry date – if granted, you’ll automatically get a new BRP. We have asked our London based immigration advisors to explain in more detail:

If you’re outside the UK

You must report it lost or stolen;

You cannot apply for a replacement BRP outside the UK. Instead, you’ll need to apply for a ‘replacement BRP visa’, which lets you re-enter the UK once only.

You can apply for a replacement BRP when you return to the UK. You must do this within 3 months of reporting it lost or stolen unless you have a good reason, for example you were unable to return to the UK in that time.

Replace an expired BRP

How you replace an expired BRP depends on whether you are in the UK and what type of leave you have.

If you have indefinite leave to remain or enter

Use the BRP replacement service from within the UK.

If your visa is about to expire, the BRP expiry date is usually the same as the expiry date of the visa. To get a new BRP, first apply to extend your visa. If it is granted, you will automatically get a new BRP. You cannot use the BRP replacement service.

Replace your visa with a BRP

You can apply for a biometric residence permit (BRP) to replace the visa (or wet ink stamp) in your passport or travel document, for example if:

  • your passport or travel document has expired or it’s been lost or stolen;
  • the details on your visa (including your facial appearance) have changed.

You must apply from inside the UK.

You can replace your visa with a BRP if:

You have permission to settle (‘indefinite leave to remain’)

The decision will be made within 6 months in such cases.

If you want a faster decision you can pay an extra £800 for the super priority service.

You have temporary permission to stay in the UK (‘leave to remain’)

You’ll get a decision within 8 weeks.

£800 super priority service is also available here.

How can we help?

At Master Legal Services, an expert advisor will assess your specific circumstances and assist you with the correct application, a list of the sufficient documents for a successful application.

You can trust that as a tailored immigration firm, we will always prioritise your needs and provide the best advice for your particular circumstances.

Published 15 January 2020

Contact our office to speak to an expert today:

T: 020 8935 5205

M: +44 7710987064

E: a.s@master-legal-services.com

Related Posts

About us

Master Legal Services is a company Registered in England & Wales No.10309474. We are authorised to provide immigration advice and services by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).


7 Bell Yard London,





020 8935 5205