Settled Status for EU Citizens and their families
Brexit is approaching social and political life of everyone in the UK and in Europe. EEA citizens living in the UK will have to determine their official status and apply for settled or pre-settled status.
Need help applying for Settled Status in the UK? Master Legal Services is an expert team of immigration lawyers London that provides comprehensive immigration services for both businesses and individuals, based inside and outside the UK. For further information, feel free to contact our office to speak to an expert on 020 8935 5205 or via Whatsapp on 07710987064.
UK Settled Status – Who should apply
As the government states “if you want to stay in the UK after 30 June 2021 you’ll usually need to apply if you’re an EU citizen or a family member of an EU citizen”.
UK Settled Status Application – You Can Apply If You:
- were born in the UK but are not a British citizen
- are married to a British citizen and you’re from the EU
Note! You’ll not usually be eligible to apply if you’re married to a British citizen and you’re from outside the EU.
The EU Settlement Scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019. You may be able to apply if you meet the criteria.
UK Settled Status Application – You do not need to apply if:
- you’re an Irish citizen – your family members from outside either the UK or Ireland will still need to apply
- you have indefinite leave to enter the UK
- you have indefinite leave to remain in the UK
You do not need to apply if you already have indefinite leave to remain or enter the UK, but still you can.
Your family members from outside either the UK or Ireland will still need to apply even if you do not need to.
UK Settled Status Application – Applying if you’re from outside the EU
You must be in a relationship with an EU citizen as their spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner.
You’ll need a residence card to prove your relationship if you’re unmarried.
UK Settled Status Application – You can also be related to an EU citizen, their spouse or civil partner as their:
- child, grandchild or great-grandchild under 21 years old
- dependent child over the age of 21
- dependent parent, grandparent or great-grandparent
- dependent relative with a residence card to prove your relationship
UK Settled Status Application – If you have a “UK permanent residence document”
You will still need to apply.
UK Settled Status Application – Your rights and status
The rights and status of EU citizens living in the UK will remain the same until 30 June 2021.
If you apply to the EU Settlement Scheme successfully, you’ll be able to continue living and working in the UK after 30 June 2021.
You’ll be given either:
- settled status
- pre-settled status
it should be noted that applicants will not be asked to choose which status they are applying for.
UK Settled Status Application – Settled Status
You’ll usually get settled status if you’ve:
- started living in the UK by 31 December 2020
- lived in the UK for a continuous 5-year period (“continuous residence”)
Five years’ continuous residence means that for 5 years in a row you’ve been in the UK for at least 6 months in any 12 month period, except for:
- one period of up to 12 months for an important reason (for example, childbirth, serious illness, study, vocational training or an overseas work posting)
- compulsory military service of any length
You will only need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme once if you get settled status.
UK Settled Status Application – Your rights with settled status
If you have settled status you can stay in the UK as long as you like.
You can also:
- apply for British citizenship, if you’re eligible
- work in the UK
- use the NHS
- enrol in education or continue studying
- access public funds such as benefits and pensions, if you’re eligible for them
- travel in and out of the UK
You can also bring close family members to the UK after 31 December 2020 if both of the following apply:
- your relationship with them began before 31 December 2020
- you are still in the relationship when they apply to join you
If your relationship with them began after 31 December 2020, your family member will be able to come here on a family visa.
Any children born in the UK while you’re living here will automatically be British citizens.
You should be able to spend up to 5 years in a row outside the UK without losing your settled status.
Best Immigration Lawyers London – How can we help?
Master Legal Services is one of the best immigration lawyers in London. Rest assured that an expert advisor will assess your specific circumstance and assist you with the right application for you. Most importantly, we will provide you a list of the correct documentary evidence to provide to make a successful application. We will collect all the relevant documents and check for errors before you submit your application.
UK Immigration Lawyer Fees
Master Legal Services are affordable immigration lawyers in London. We have extensive experience in processing and organizing Visa applications. Rest assured that we can cater our services to your affordability. Our dedicated team has helped applicants from all walks of life in both the UK and abroad to obtain their visas by providing excellent advice and immigration services.
Immigration Lawyers East London – Contact us for moreOur Immigration Lawyers East London services are available all over the UK. Contact us below for more information.
T: 020 8935 5205