Apply for a UK Residence Card
Want to apply for a UK Residence card? A residence card is issued to non-EEA national family members and extended family members of an EEA national who are in the UK exercising their treaty rights.
Need help applying for UK Residence card? Master Legal Services is an expert team of London based immigration lawyers that provide comprehensive immigration services for both businesses and individuals, based inside and outside the UK. For further information, feel free to contact our office to speak to an expert on 020 8935 5205 or via Whatsapp on 07710987064.
UK Residence Card Application – Eligibility
The family will have to evidence their relationship with the EEA national and also evidence that the EEA national is exercising their treaty rights through working, self- employment, studying, or being self-sufficient.
UK Residence Card Application – Who are the family members and extended family members
Family members are considered to be spouses, civil partners, children or grandchildren under 21, or dependent parent or grandparent.
An extended family member is considered to include: unmarried partners in a similar situation to civil partnership or marriage, or a relative who is not mentioned above. This, therefore, includes siblings, uncles, aunts, cousins, nieces, and nephews.
UK Residence Card Application – How long is the Residence Card valid
A residence card is valid for 5 years, after which the family member can apply for permanent residence in the UK. If an EEA national is thinking to settle in the UK at a later stage, it the residence card would be a good way to prove the length of residence in the UK.
Please contact our office to discuss your Residence Card as there are recent changes that may impact your application.
UK Residence Card Application – Making an application
The qualified EEA national can include you in their application if they apply online for permanent residence.
Otherwise, you will be required to make an application using one of the following paper application forms:
- application for a direct family member: form EEA (FM)
- application for an extended family member: form EEA (EFM)
UK Residence Card Application – Fee for Residence Card
The current fee for this card is £65.00. There is also a charge when providing your biometric information at the post office, i.e. your fingerprints, which is currently £19.20.
What are the benefits of having a UK Permanent Residence Card?
1. You will be eligible to apply for British Citizenship after just one year of residence in the UK. You cannot apply for British Citizenship without having been granted a UK Permanent Residence Card first.
2. You will confirm your right to remain in the UK indefinitely. Even though the changes of immigration legislation and policy are still unknown, you will not need to evidence your right to permanent residence status after the UK exits the EU.
3. Your family can join or remain with you in the UK even if you aren’t a qualified person at that point. A qualified person is an EEA national living in the UK as a job-seeker, worker, self-employed person, self-sufficient person, or student. After you have received your UK Permanent Residence Card your family can join you even if you don’t satisfy the criteria of a ‘qualified person’.
4. You can enjoy social security benefits.
5. Your child can become a British citizen. Your permanent residence status will benefit your child’s British citizenship application.
Get in touch with our team for a free initial assessment, and enjoy our money-guarantee policy!